Roast lamb for Easter

In the weeks leading up to the Easter long weekend, I was bombarded with magazine articles and emails about roast lamb. Clearly it is the thing to eat over Easter in the UK. So, as an Australian eating in London, I felt a certain obligation to follow the trend.

I'm not a big cooker of roasts. I have a habit of overcooking them, perhaps because I buy smaller ones for less people, but I generally find it all a bit disappointing. So it was with some trepidation that I selected my leg of lamb from the butcher on Easter Saturday.

With the recent mint sauce triumph in Venice in mind, I also decided to make a mint sauce. I selected a recipe from UKTV Food, which seemed appropriate.

I have to say, I was pretty happy with how this turned out. I ignored all instincts to keep it in for longer and it was a lovely rosy pink colour. I served it with goose-fat roasted potatoes, beans, the mint sauce and an onion gravy. The mint sauce tasted nice, but the one in Venice must have been boiled and reduced to be as thick and sticky as it was. I'll have to try again.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment